24 January, 2008

The Magic of Chocolate

It's early to be doing a Valentine's Day post, I know. I'm also not a particular fan of the holiday, so I don't spend an inordinate amount of my time thinking about St. Valentine and all his little Cupids. This year though, it seems like the universe is conspiring against me, as a certain charming little book was placed in my hands just when I was becoming a sucker for hopeless romanticism. The book is Chocolat by Joanne Harris, and it's really a fantastic story. The thought of it warms my heart on cold winter days, kind of like the delicious title character. Oh chocolate! J.K. Rowling had it right when she made you the perfect bandage for all mental and physical woes. It's not that you fix everything, it's just that you make life a little sweeter, a little warmer, and a little softer around the edges. *Sigh* I'm feeling like celebrating this feeling, so in honor not of Valentine's Day but of true magic, romance, and chocolate, I bring you a little playlist.

"Hell No" by Sondre Lerche & Regina Spektor. It's a soft song with simple lyrics. It's a duet that rolls along gently, reminding the listener that people make mistakes, but love is still pretty powerful. On a more musical note, Spektor and Lerche are a perfect match vocally. Both singers have uniquely charming voices that lend some credence to the comfortable delivery. These crooners sound close, not tightly wound, just snuggly.

"A Kiss To Build A Dream On" by Louis Armstrong. What's more sweetly romantic than this song? To the tune of "La Vie En Rose", Louis hoarsely requests a kiss to build a dream on and then backs his request with powerful horns.

"The Story In Your Eyes" by the Moody Blues. This is very retro, but the lyrics are excellent. The backing "orchestra" as it were, is also pretty phenomenal. I especially like this section:

"...And the sound we make together
Is the music to the story in your eyes
It's been shining down upon me now
I realize...
"

"You Are The Sunshine of My Life" by Stevie Wonder. I can't listen to this song and frown. Musically it is undeniable, with a groovy bass-line, Latin percussion, and swinging horns. Stevie's voice is so soulful, so full-bodied, you can't help but feel the lyrics when he delivers them.

"Tell Mama" by Etta James. If these aren't Muscle Shoals musicians backing the unforgettable Etta, then they're just as talented. James herself is soul royalty, and this song always makes me want to wail along. The song can be summed up in one lyric: "I just want to take care of you". Sing it girl. I hope he hears.

"Dreams" by The Cranberries. There is something ethereal about Dolores O'Riordan's voice. Combine that spooky effect with soaring guitars and the completely honest lyrics and you get a perfect song.

No comments: