15 January, 2008

History Repeating

I was swept off my feet by the depth and beauty of the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack composed by Jean-Yves Thibaudet. By "swept off my feet", I mean that I was completely rapt with attention, pulled into the story, connected to the characters, and immersed in the emotion of the film. For those who don't know, Pride and Prejudice is a love-story based on the classic novel by Jane Austen. It starred Keira Knightley, and was directed by Joe Wright.

Atonement, on the other hand, is a love-story based on the critically-acclaimed novel by Ian Mcewan. It stars Keira Knightley, and was directed by Joe Wright. Hmm, sounds familiar. Well, I've yet again been completely swept off my feet by the gorgeous soundtrack.

Dario Marianelli, who also created the soundtrack for I Capture the Castle (an equally multifaceted, lush, and heartbreaking movie, I must add), has composed a score that's fragile and powerful, just like Atonement. This story is about stories, and the power they have to make and break lives. It's especially fitting that the first song, "Briony", pulses with the expectant tapping of a typewriter. "Robbie's Note" simmers and wanders unsteadily, quite intoxicated with the idea of love and lust. "Two Figures By A Fountain" flits about with the tension and drama that's so imperative to that scene in the book. The rest of the songs on the album find a place between the intensely restless, climactic mood that underscores Briony's guilt and excitement, and a more somber, pained, and thoughtful quality that best expresses the passion between Robby and Cecilia.

Did I forget to mention that Jean-Yves Thibaudet makes a cameo appearance on this album? "Suite Bergamasque - 3. Clair de Lune" is another piano song, that takes the spot of the story's epilogue. Where the penultimate song "Atonement" is weighed down with what could have been, the Thibaudet track is a quiet celebration of what was.

I've yet to see Atonement, but if it's anything like Pride and Prejudice (and I've already proven that it is), then everyone should watch this movie to fully enjoy the depth of the soundtrack. Watch, and be swept away.

No comments: