29 January, 2008

A Groovy Buzz

Monday morning, at about 4:00 a.m., I heard this noise coming from my radio that I could not ignore. The song was "Got To Let Go" by The Bees (known as Band of Bees in the US for unspecified legal reasons). This song is groovy and borderline psychedelic. With tired ears, I thought I was hearing a Rolling Stones rarity, but then my helpful radio DJ cleared up my confusion. The Bees' music buzzes with barely repressed sexual tension, and grooves along like soul and Motown classics. "Got to Let Go" is funky and chill, with smooth horns and English harmonies. "Left Foot Stepdown" pulls in a little influential Latin rhythm, while "Who Cares What the Question Is?" rambles and slides like the best Southern blues. My personal favorite song on The Bees' latest release - Octopus - is the sweet and simple "Listening Man". The lyrics are exceptionally honest and beautiful, and the sound fresh but comfortable. Below I've posted the video, which I think is amazing!

No comments: