03 June, 2008

"...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity..."

So Mr. Yeats, which one am I? This is the question of the day.

I bought an Averi album back in 2005. It's called Drawn to Revolving Doors, and it has to be one of my favorite albums of all time. The song "When You Gracefully Creep In" seems to creep onto almost all of my major mixes (and I have to half-heartedly delete it so that I don't have duplicate songs in my iPod). The melodic, pop structure of these songs is an incredibly attractive quality, but the thing that really grabs me is the voice of Chad Perrone who unfortunately left Averi in late 2005. Chad can sing quietly which is quite a talent, and he has a voice that is both gorgeous and strongly masculine (another talent that comes in handy when you sing melodic pop/rock songs).

In April, Chad released Wake which is his second solo album. I am torn. On the one hand, the vocals are just as strong as ever. On the other hand, Chad has become (if anything) more melodic without Averi's rocking background guitar fuzz. So I find myself enjoying the songs "Blinded" and "Madison", but then I also have to listen to "Since You" and "Nantucket". Maybe it's my current mood, but I'm finding slow, bittersweet songs completely unforgivable. If anything I need more Operation Ivy and Rancid to get me through my day, so I'm going to leave it up to you guys to decide whether you like Chad's new music or not.

Here's the old Chad:

When You Gracefully Creep In (LIVE)


and now the new:
Nantucket (LIVE)

No comments: