02 October, 2007

Our Electrical Universe

You know that moment when you're thinking about a certain song, and when you turn on the radio, that song is playing for you? Did you ever wonder if that stuff happens because the whole universe is connected to and in your mind, conspiring to give you that song you most ardently hoped for?

Here's something to turn around in your mind: everything ever created in our world is just a manifestation of thought. All power and reality is in your head.

I found myself arguing with a 7-year old about the existence of Batman last week (I believe in superheroes, but the whole conversation was somewhat of a misunderstanding, because I never said that Batman was actually a flesh and blood person, I just argued for the truth of the idea. I don't think the kid got it, but he'll probably figure it out some day. Little kids are smart). The conversation was odd because I felt like our predesigned roles had been reversed, like I was acting as the stubborn child and this kid as the parent figure. I've always been good at creating my own reality and blocking out the reality that exists around me and that other people have actually agreed on (I'm a really stubborn kid). For example, I'm a reasonable person, and I'll agree with anyone that Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry probably doesn't exist (and even if it does, I'm not invited), but somwhere deep down inside, it's still the only school that will ever win my heart and be my dream school. So whenever someone insists on asking where I want to go to school, my only honest answer is Hogwarts (I can't understand why people think I'm being a smartass. Wouldn't you go to a school of awesome magic if you had the option?).

I guess it's kind of the same with music. People often ask me what music is worth listening to (wasn't everything good made in the '60s and '70s? Ummm, no). I always answer in my most incredulous voice that you barely even have to look to find excellent music right under your nose! Granted, if you only listen to TOP 40, if you never take a flip through Rolling Stone, Spin, Paste, or any of the numerous publications that write about local music, and if you close your ears and mind to new sounds, then you're creating a world for yourself without much hope of interesting new music. The previous sentence describes a kind of life that I would not recommend to anyone, but that you'll often run into when talking to people about their musical tastes. Here's the only thing you have to remember to gaurantee that you'll come across interesting music: visualize finding interesting music! Even if you don't find someone else's great music, you can always create your own. Everything you ever wanted is in your own head.

To commemorate your introduction to a literal universe of possibilities, here's a playlist of songs that I found - with a little help from my buddy serendipity - when I most needed to hear something illuminating. Listen on!

"Black Dog" by Led Zeppelin

"Mary Jane" by Alanis Morrisette

"Ghost Town" by ZOX

"None of Your Business" by Salt-N-Pepa

"Time Bomb" by Rancid

"Rhythm Futur" by Django Reinhardt

"Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" by Angelique Kidjo

"Clampdown" by The Clash

"How It Ends" by Devotchka

"The Mooche" by Duke Ellington

"Opera" by Floetry

"The Harder They Come" by Jimmy Cliff

"They Want Us To Make A Symphony Of The Sound Of Women Swallowing Their Own Tongues" by Le Tigre

"Rockin' In The Free World" by Neil Young

"All Apologies" by Nirvana

"Cell Block Tango" by The Original Cast of "Chicago"

"Where Is My Mind?" by Pixies

"Today Is The Day" by Apollo Sunshine

"Longview" by Green Day

"Sugar Free Jazz" by Soul Coughing

"Black Panther" by Mason Jennings

"On The Radio" by Regina Spektor

"Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns 'n' Roses

"Thank You (Falletinme be mice elf agin)" by Sly and the Family Stone

No comments: