22 October, 2007

The Best Mix

It seems like art, music, movies, and books have just been throwing themselves at me this week. I've had trouble coordinating all my senses so I can keep up with this creative maelstrom.

I recently read a book by Howard Zinn (A Power Governments Cannot Suppress) which led me to a movie about the long deceased anarchists Sacco & Vanzetti (of the same name) which led to the album Ballads of Sacco and Vanzetti by Woody Guthrie.

In another odd set of circumstances, I watched a documentary (Word Play) about people who do crossword puzzles, decided I wanted to do crossword puzzles, quickly realized I was not smart enough to do crossword puzzles, but happened upon a puzzle entitled "National Anthems" which was chock full of famous songs with punny inserts. An example? Well, one clue was "Dylan's Asian Anthem" and the answer was "Blowin' india Wind"! Isn't that awesome?

I was watching the news a day after I wrote about Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, and guess who popped up as the next big thing?

I was listening to Oingo Boingo (Danny Elfman & friends) and Corpse Bride and Beetlejuice just happened to be on TV. I think this situation is less serendipitous than due to the fact that Halloween is right around the corner, but it still made me giddy with excitement.

Oh yeah, and the Red Sox made it to the World Series during the one week I decide to start watching baseball.

My week's been full of stuff like that, and although I'm in sensory overload mode, I'm truly enjoying these happy coincidences. Here's a mix that I hope will make your week amazing:

"Two Good Men (Sacco and Vanzetti)" by Woody Guthrie. The elder Guthrie made an entire album of songs about these men, and was intensely affected by their plight and their heroism. I have to say that after watching the documentary Sacco & Vanzetti, I'm also inspired and horrified by their story. Guthrie has a somewhat dolorous and monotone delivery; still, as he lays the facts bare with little drama, he encourages the listener to see the humans that the story revolves around. One of the best folk artist ever.

"Blowin' In The Wind" by Bob Dylan. The name of the song isn't quite as cool as "Blowin' india Wind", but it's still a great song by Dylan. This is a protest song - one you could listen to while thinking about Sacco & Vanzetti - and it basically tears down all barriers, all challenges to freedom and equality. Bad things exist, but they don't have to exist. We have the power to challenge them, and to tear the wall down if the need arises.

"Capitalism" by Oingo Boingo. Throwing semi-gothic lyrics and ska horns in the same song and then making that song a cult hit really breaks the musical boundaries, and Oingo Boingo did this quite a few times. This song came before their openly gothic days, but it still pushes the proverbial envelope with a little nod to the Dead Kennedys' caustic, political lyrics. Instead of bashing capitalism, Oingo Boingo makes a good point about the people who usually bash capitalism (they've never HAD to work); but, I think the song is also tongue-in-cheek, poking fun at people at both ends of the political/economic spectrum.

"Be Easy" by Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings. I do love this song. It's the proud owner of a deep, funk groove that digs into your eardrums and won't let go. It's like the mucus-man in the mucinex commercial who just won't lt go of your lungs, except much cooler.

"I'm Shipping Up to Boston" by Dropkick Murphys. The incorrigable Irish (Massachusetts Irish, that is) anthem, that has become the Boston Red Sox' theme song. Just try to watch Papelbon dance without laughing, I dare you. He's insane and embarrassing.

No comments: