12 April, 2007

Jimi or John

I admit that I'm enamored with John Mayer. In my opinion, he's an incredibly talented boy who doesn't get enough credit as a musician. To prove my point, I want everyone to listen to Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing" followed by John Mayer's "Bold As Love" from Continuum. I'm not saying that Mayer is Hendrix reincarnated, but you can feel that simmering guitar line and that blues influence in both songs. So what if Mayer makes popular music? Jimi Hendrix made popular music.

"...My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Orange is young, full of daring,
But very unsteady for the first go round
My yellow in this case is not so mellow
In fact I'm trying to say it's frigthened like me
And all these emotions of mine keep holding me from,
Giving my life to a rainbow like you
But, I'm, yeah, I'm bold as love..."
- John Mayer

No comments: