04 April, 2007

Activism in Action: Step It Up 2007!

As you all know, I get pretty into my causes. I'm a rebel girl ("she holds her head up so high!" -Bikini Kill), with a million different opinions and thoughts on the way the world could be better. Way back in 2005 (?) I wanted to attend the huge anti-war rally in D.C. Now, granted I first heard about this rally because I was on a Dead Kennedys streak at that point in time and I really wanted to see Jello Biafra, but I really am anti-war. Unfortunately, Boston's a bit far from D.C. and I know that that's true of quite a few places in the U.S. (it's a big country!)

That's why I think this new form of protest is so cool. It's called Step It Up 2007, it is the brain-child of Billy Mckibben, and it will be the most widespread Global Warming protest ever held in the U.S. By widespread, I mean gigantic. At this very moment there are 1215 actions that will take place in all 50 states!!! The rallies will be held on April 14th, and they should be excellent fun and educational (what a beautiful word.) Anyway, I'm pretty psyched for this National Day of Climate Action, and I hope you guys are too! For more information about the actual individual rallies, check out the Step It Up 2007! website.


"Be the change you want to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi

No comments: