05 January, 2016

2016 Read Harder and an update on #TBRTakedown

Today. I. Go. Back. To. Work.

eeep.

Even though I have worked a bit since the 23rd of December, I've also had two stretches of consecutive five day mini-vacations. This has been fabulous, as "the job" is not really my cup of tea.

But, today I go back, and I am procrastinating on here until I absolutely must leave.

Check out the NYPL's amazing recommendations for the 2016 Read Harder Challenge: http://www.nypl.org/blog/2015/12/15/read-harder-challenge

I am all over this challenge, and I've already ticked off one of the goals without even meaning to (read a non-superhero graphic novel completed with Fatale by Ed Brubaker). In general, after reviewing what I read last year, I do also hope to read more books by authors of different cultural and ethnic backgrounds to my own. With that being said, I do tend to agree with Rincey that this sort of collecting of racial diversity is pretty problematic. Is it more important to read interesting and diverse material, or to check off boxes on a list of certain categories that fulfill arbitrary diversity requirements? I would argue that the first is most important, and the second sort of misses the point.

Quick #TBRTakedown update: I am enjoying this challenge. Granted, I haven't been at work yet this week, so I've had some time to enjoy it, but even so I wasn't sure whether my reading brain would thrive on specific goals or fall into a slump. I'm glad it's thriving! I've finished Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie, as well as Fatale, Vol. 1 by Ed Brubaker. I am also fairly well into Station Eleven (which is so intense and great so far), Come As You Are, and The Silkworm. I'll need to do some reading for school tonight, so may fall back on some of the books, but so far I've made a decent dent in everything.

Wish me luck and love in the new work year, and I'll wish you all the same!

No comments: