29 May, 2012

Tracks to get you through a rainy day (of the heart and soul)


"No Surprises" - Radiohead

Essential lyrics: 
"Such a pretty house
And such a pretty garden

No alarms and no surprises
No alarms and no surprises
No alarms and no surprises please"

Category: Monotony and apathy couple in Yorke's exhausted voice.


"Carbon Monoxide" - Regina Spektor

Essential lyrics:
"Carbon monoxide, soon we'll go to sleep
No one will notice we're gone
'Cause we don't have a job to keep
They'll just say that we're being lazy
Sex crazed, sex crazed, hazy"

Category:  Darkly comic lullaby. Life, death, procreation, absurdity.


"Sad For The Weather" - Tom Dickins

Essential lyrics:
"Your mother, she called it a seasoned depression,
Your father can't cry from years of repression,
Your youngest of brothers thinks it should not matter,
Your friends are inclined to agree with the latter"

Category: Aussie, acoustic, amazing.


"Another Year" - Amanda Palmer

Essential lyrics:
"I have my new Bill Hicks CD
I have my friends and my career
I'm getting smaller by degrees
You said you'd help me disappear
But that could take forever
I think I'll wait another year"

Category: Dilapidated hearts and resuscitated self-respect. Caustic, heart-breaking, bleak. But one of the most beautiful songs I can imagine. 

1 comment:

Nati said...

Hi! I´m Nat from Spain. I have a blog about music too. http://oirmusicaesdisfrutarlavida.blogspot.com.es/
I like the music of this post so much!