27 April, 2008

Augustus Gloop

The weather affected my mood, my mood affected my music choice, my music choice affected my mood...

Weather: Gloomy. Actually, strike that, gloopy. The sky reminds me of that glue that hardens on the side of the glue bottle, and then gets progressively more linty as it spends more time in the craft bag with pom-pom balls and pipe cleaners (chenille stems! I almost forgot about that conversation.) Anyway, it's not pleasant. I think it would make a good backdrop for a Sherlock Holmes mystery. Mental note: The next time it rains like this, try to write a mystery!

Music Choice: Well, I began the morning with a homemade soundtrack to battle! I guess it's not technically battle, but what I'm doing will sure be messy. It consisted of some harsh music; rock for angry teenagers, techno for role-playing gamers, and your basic "slightly depressing" soundtrack music. I've upgraded to Alanis Morisette (Jagged Little Pill) and the soundtrack to Grosse Pointe Blank.

Mood: Uncertain, as of yet. Actually, I've been see-sawing between overwhelmingly excited/elated and depressed. What has cheered my spirits (along with eggplant pizza, ratemyprofessor.com, and Ecotone magazine) is Neil Gaiman's blog. That man is awesome! Take, just for example, this one section in his latest blog post ("Entertainers All..."):

If I hadn't slept I would have read -- I'm currently reading Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of the Road. It's wonderful -- a [Chabonesque] [Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser]-ish story, filled with swordfights and intrigue and people in disguise. (I just edited that sentence -- I'd written "currently reading for pleasure" as if there was some other kind of reading -- the sort you endure, I imagine.)

Hahah, you just summed up what I've been trying to express for years! I don't understand the concept of reading for anything but pleasure. :)

No comments: