19 June, 2007

Van Gogh (and find some awesome music!)

My favorite artist is Vincent Van Gogh, and last night I watched a show that just really painted the man for me, so to speak. Check out this short series if you ever get the chance, it's fairly enlightening!

Simon Schama's Power of Art

In honor of the artist and his gritty, rooted, beautiful work I've created a musical playlist. I don't presume to think that it will capture even a speck of Van Gogh's genius, but, hopefully, it will complement the feeling I enjoy when I view Van Gogh's work.

Wheatfield Cypresses Playlist (for it's swirling summery perfection!)

"Lemon Grove Avenue" by Mason Jennings. Folk music, when done well, can balance swirling fantasy with deeply rooted feeling. Mason Jennings does folk well, and I love this song most for its lyrics: "I'm coming home, I'm coming home".

"Midnight Lightning" by Jimi Hendrix. "Blue light flashing" and a deep blues sound, with a guitar that meanders, and wanders, but never outright leaves the beat.

"Better" by Regina Spektor. If the tortured genius had felt this sentiment would he have felt anything at all? I do, and I love Spektor for asking.

"Symphony No. 29 in A Major, KV 201: I. Allegro moderato" by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Here's the music of another genius who can absolutely fill you up with sound. The emotion is so strong.

"Galileo" by the Indigo Girls. This is such a powerful song that the ideas just blanket me. My mind is wrapped in their thoughts, and warmed by their feeling.

"One By One All Day" by the Shins. This album always reminds me of tumbleweeds and bubbles...is that weird? Probably, but it also captures that sort of melancholy summer feeling when you're counting the days to fall. It's like counting the days 'til the Rapture.

"Heaven" by Los Lonely Boys. One hit wonder anyone? Actually, their latest album is excellent, but that's not the reason Los Lonely Boys are on this playlist. This song just captured the marbled quality of life; the lyrics are so sad, but the whole thing is just so beautiful.

"Belleville Rendez-vous (English Version)" by The Triplets of Belleville. It's macabre and sweet; very french. Also the perfect ending. Fin.

No comments: