12 June, 2007

Little Steven's Underground, and other NEWS

So, I guess I wasn't the only music snob who decided to dedicate their musings to Sgt. Pepper last week. A few days ago I stumbled across a radio show called Little Steven's Underground Garage that also concentrated on Sgt. Pepper, although Little Steven played some more recent songs for our listening pleasure as well as the old psychedelic standbys. He does a pretty nice radio show with stuff that you don't usually hear outside of your headphones, and you can listen to it ALL online because it's archived.

Check it out here: Little Steven's Underground Garage

What else for musical news? Well, there are going to be plenty of summer concerts this year, and the summer itself seems to be looking pretty breezy and bright. I'm picking up good vibrations! What about you?

Writing of breezy and bright, I stumbled upon a little album this morning that seems to exemplify those summery ideals. It's called "Hotel Costes: Best of Stephane Pompougnac", and it's a collection of these eclectic French dance tunes covered by all kinds of crazy artists. Especially worthwhile picks, in my humble opinion, are "Where Do I Begin (Away Team Mix)" by Shirley Bassey, "Latazz" by the Funky Lowlives, and "Night Over Manaus" by Boozoo Bajou. They seem like tracks that would work on a nice night at the beach. Preface those dance songs with "Brasil" by Xavier Cugat and you've got yourself a cocktail party minus the cocktails.

"La Vie En Rose" opened on Friday, and I'm looking forward to seeing it, (1 because it looks like it's worth seeing, and (2 because I'm a fan of Edith Piaf. Her story is really so perfectly French romance in a sad way, and her music is just excellent. I guess I have a little love affair with French music, especially jazz. Django anyone? Now, Edith. It's great stuff.

Have a musical week!!!

1 comment:

sam said...

you do know that little steven is THE ONE AND ONLY steven van zandt -- guitar/mandolin player of bruce springsteen & the e street band!!