02 January, 2007

Reaching Back (Rediscovering Old Favorites)

Sometimes, I become overloaded with new music. I just can’t process all of the new sounds that I hear, and I have to take a break and listen to something comfortable. I’ve found that even when I’m completely sick of the “usual” (which changes very often, but is generally sprinkled with Rancid, The Specials, Led Zeppelin, Green Day, The Cars, etc.) I can find something classic and unexpected that makes the world feel right. These songs are the “homemade macaroni and cheese” of music; it’s comfort food for your ears.

“I Want You To Want Me” by Cheap Trick. It’s one of those songs that fits any mood. If you’re feeling good the beat matches your upbeat mood, and if you’re feeling low the lyrics are perfect for drowning your sorrows.

“Rudy Can’t Fail” by The Clash. This song is absolutely classic. The Clash bring in so many influences musically and the lyrics are great on this tune. Ska horns and a point; just because your life works for you, doesn’t mean it’s the life for me.

“Boxcar” by Jawbreaker. I happened upon this band about a year ago, and had to ask myself why they hadn’t garnered more recognition during their career. Green Day lifts the tune for “She’s a Rebel” and the lyrics tell a similar story. It’s short, but sweet.

“Voodoo Child (Slight Return)” by Jimi Hendrix. It’s an obvious classic. Get lost in Jimi’s guitar.

“Spin” by Lifehouse. One of the few Christian bands that I absolutely love. I think what sets Lifehouse apart is their ability to craft music that applies to all lifestyles (Christian or otherwise.) The lyrics are great.

“Time” by Pink Floyd. “The Dark Side of the Moon” is an amazing album and this song absolutely sums it up for me. One Winter, I listened to it on repeat (think about that, seven minutes on constant repeat.)

“Strong Enough” by Sheryl Crow. I’m not always a Sheryl Crow fan, but this song is absolutely beautiful. It breaks my heart, and then mends it.

“The Sound of Silence” by Simon & Garfunkel. I love when things that seem completely different are connected, so I was blown away when I realized that Rush uses (and slightly changes) a verse from this song. The lyrics are amazing and I love the percussion. If you were wondering about those lyrics, here they are:

“...And the signs said, the words of the prophets
Are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls
And whispered in the sounds of silence.”
- Simon & Garfunkel

and

“...For the words of the profits were written on the studio wall,
Concert hall
And echoes with the sounds of salesmen.”
- Rush

“Funky Kingston” by Toots and the Maytals. This song is just unbelievably fun to listen to. It builds and builds into this monster of a ska tune.

“Baba O’Riley” by the Who. It doesn’t matter what time of day, week, year, decade; what kind of mood I’m in; or what kind of people I’m with, I will always listen to this song. “I don’t need to be forgiven.”

No comments: