02 January, 2007

Looking Forward

Very few albums are released in the weeks after Christmas and New Years, but despite the temporary lull, 2007 will be a big year for music. Like ‘06, ‘07 will be a year of big names (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Justin Timberlake, Bob Dylan, Jay-Z) and surprising hits (The Fray, Gnarls Barkley, The Raconteurs, O-ZONE.) There’s a lot to look forward to, and plenty to be weary of in the world of music, but one thing is certain, ‘07 will be an interesting year.

At the end of January, Norah Jones will drop the appropriately titled “Not Too Late.” I was a bit underwhelmed with her second album, “Feels Like Home”, because she didn’t really seem to break from the mold of “Come Away With Me.” Yes, the album was pretty, but I just expected more from Jones. I think Jones, like Mayer, needed a little time to figure out what her “sound” actually sounds like. I’m encouraged to try this new album, based on my knowledge of Norah’s side projects. She’s most definitely branching out, working with Peeping Tom (a.k.a. Mike Patton) on “Sucker,” a song far from any dinner party soundtrack. Her work with the Little Willies was also an encouraging break from the world of “adult contemporary.” With the Willies, Norah covered country favorites and a few rock songs. She also appeared on “Virginia Moon,” a song from the latest Foo Fighters album. These various projects lead me to believe that Jones is experimenting, and, in my opinion, experimentation is what she needs to give her music new life.

Coming out a little earlier than the Jones release is the Shins’ latest, “Wincing the Night Away.” Based on the single “Phantom Limb,” the Shins have branched out again, but retained the sound that makes them different and exciting. “Phantom Limb” is jangly, yet substantial. It’s reminiscent of the ‘60s, but also very much a product of its time. I honestly don’t know what to expect from the Shins’ third release. The Shins did not succumb to the infamous sophomore slump, they’ve consistently made good music, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that “Wincing the Night Away” will surprise and delight me as much as “Oh, Inverted World” and “Chutes Too Narrow.”

The Shins and Norah Jones are the artists whose music I await with the most anticipation during the month of January, but I don’t want to look too far into the future. Personally, I enjoy a few surprises through the year.

No comments: