12 December, 2006

I Love Alliteration!!

Which makes me love Tally Hall's album, "Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum" even more. Once in awhile, maybe every year, I come across an artist that just makes me think 'Wow, was I under a rock? How did I miss these guys?' Usually, I'm just a little bit ahead of the game and I get to watch (and sometimes help) these artists grow in popularity, spreading their beautiful music to the masses. Lately, it's been Apollo Sunshine, Zox, and Gogol Bordello and, I'm hoping it will now be Tally Hall.

"Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum" reminds me quite a bit of Apollo Sunshine's "Katonah." I think this similarity is due to the fact that both bands experiment with their sound throughout the album. Tally Hall's opening tune, "Good Day" includes robotic/operatic vocals, piano, rock guitars, and some random blasting sound effects that caused me to believe my headphones were broken. Not to imply that it is anything but fun to listen to "Good Day", it initiates you in the odd Tally Hall world, while making your ears happy. The second song, "Greener", is almost more jolting than the opener, given it's tendency to sound "normal" at first listen. When you really listen to "Greener", it's becomes obvious that it's only normal in the world of Tally Hall where random instruments make unexpected appearances every day. By the time you reach the third song you know you've really found something different! "Welcome to Tally Hall" is a rap song, with horns, all kinds of percussion, and a carnivalesque atmosphere that surrounds your ears.

The whole album makes me happy, and at this time of year it's a nice alternative to, well, anything on the radio. I've been informed by a good source that their live show is amazing. I would definitely take a listen to these boys if I were you. They've been spinning non-stop in my CD player for the last week, and I only got their album a week ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HELL YEA!!! HAHAHA

DUDE next show, we're going :)

this is sick lol. umm yea...haha i've been listening non-stop to their album..DO YOU WANT A BANANA

i <3 tally hall...so y'all better get off your asses and take a listen!!