19 December, 2006

"The Best Way of Spreading Christmas Cheer, Is By Singing Loud For All To Hear!"

I’m a fan of Christmas music, mostly because, by and large, it’s happy music. People don’t usually write Christmas music about broken hearts, deceased family, and war (although it isn’t unheard of; “Happy Christmas (War is Over)” and “Last Christmas” are two popular examples.) The month of December is one time of year when you’re allowed to be silly and happy, instead of the usual required cultural attitude of jaded and ironic cynicism.

I do have Christmas music likes and dislikes. I’m a big fan of laid-back jazz Christmas music. The Vince Guaraldi Trio’s “A Charlie Brown Christmas” album is an example of one of my personal favorites, it’s classic without being kitschy, and it has the added benefit of being music that can be enjoyed throughout the year. I also like the standards, Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole; all great voices with character. Stevie Wonder, lends a spiritual and soulful feeling to all of his music, so when he sings “What Christmas Means to Me” you know he’ll make it meaningful.

You’ll find a few oddities in my collection, but nothing less than genius. Take for example, “Christmas in Hollis” by Run-DMC. It’s the only holiday rap song that I know of, although I don’t pretend to know everything. Being punk (and Jewish) didn’t stop the Ramones from making a Christmas song, and “Merry Christmas (I Don’t Wanna Fight Tonight)” certainly takes three-chord punk to a different level. Also on my list is the classic “Father Christmas” by the Kinks, which is a rocking packet of holiday-flavored social commentary.

Of course, you can also find some closet Christmas music in my collection. I’m an unabashed fan of Mariah Carey’s “All I want for Christmas Is You”, Destiny’s Child’s “8 Days of Christmas”, and Jose Feliciano’s “Feliz Navidad.” My new favorite Christmas song is from The Polar Express soundtrack, “Believe” by Josh Groban, and I’m not sure if it’s the lyrics or Josh’s voice that make me tear up (from an overabundance of happiness) whenever I hear the song.

A couple of Christmas songs I dislike? Well, “Dominic the Donkey” is pretty annoying and “All I want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth” gives me a headache. The worst Christmas song, in my humble opinion, is “The Christmas Shoes” by NewSong . I don’t dislike it because it’s country music, I dislike it because the story is sad, sappy, and contrived. Rudolph and Frosty don’t bother me in the least, but indie Christmas music kind of creeps me out. I don’t have any good reason for disliking indie Christmas music, it just gives me a weird feeling. I guess it’s like emo kids trying to be happy, it just feels wrong.

Merry Christmas to all my readers! Leave me your thoughts and personal Christmas favorites. If you don’t celebrate Christmas, pick another holiday themed song or even a song centered around the winter season and share with your favorite blogger (me)!

No comments: