12 September, 2005

Zox & Update

I haven't really blogged for a bit, because I've been too busy with work, music, school, etc.

I've been writing a lot of songs (Well more poetry than songs just yet.) It's really hard to write a song with only a bass guitar. In the next several years I'm going to try to learn more instruments, namely: guitar, violin, piano, percussion & drums, and maybe even some brass or wood-wind instruments.

Tonight I'm going to see ZOX! I'm pretty excited because they're not only my favorite local band, but they're also known for putting on insane live shows. Spencer Swain (violin) has been compared to Eddie Van Halen.

Their new album is excellent. They've really grown as musicians, and it shows on The Wait. It's a very clean album compared to Take Me Home. Take Me Home was amazing, kind of ska with soaring violin solos and fast up-beat songs, great to listen to during the summer. The Wait is more quiet with the violin infused in the music. Sometimes it even sounds Celtic like Irish fiddle music, an album for the quieter months of the year. I can't decide which one I like better musically, because they're both excellent and very different, but lyrically the band has grown on The Wait.

No comments: