01 January, 2015

2015 Marks Ten Years Blogging (in some form, or other)

It's been a full decade since I started (at fifteen) to write music reviews that were intended to challenge the music reporting that I saw around me. I was the kid for a semester of high school who walked around in a Led Zeppelin sweatshirt and wrote "newspaper" articles recommending Pink Floyd alongside Ciara alongside Le Tigre. So when I "dropped out" of high school, I made my own "newspaper" here on Blogspot. That turned into a Tumblr where I wrote about Australia, Feminism, and politics - and recently collected book recommendations and photos for my dream apartment. Simultaneously I kept an on and off Twitter page where I did more sharing than anything, and attempted my own brand of Amanda Palmer-style community collaboration. But I haven't done much of the long-form blogging I started with since 2010 (when I lived in Australia and wrote about that for six months on my Tumblr page). I miss the long-form blog post, and I miss keeping up my own online "newspaper" of sorts. I ultimately miss creating something, as opposed to passively sharing (I was always into sharing, but not originally passively). After all, a mixtape is a creation, albeit made of pieces that someone else created before you. It's like writing. It's like quilting. It's like knitting and collage-ing.

Without further ado, here is my last mix of 2014 to ring in the New Year!

"Closer" by Tegan and Sara
"I'm Writing a Novel" by Father John Misty
"I Want a House" by Twin Sister
"Double Bubble Trouble" by M.I.A.
"Rather Be" by Clean Bandit ft. Jess Glynne
"Rock City" by Kings of Leon
"Hannah Hunt" by Vampire Weekend
"Denial Thing" by Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra
"Changes" by Tupac
"Just In Time" by Nina Simone
"Digital Witness" by St. Vincent
"Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
"This Year" by The Mountain Goats
"I Wanna Get Better" by Bleachers

BONUS: "Shotgun Wedding" by Shira E

No comments: