12 March, 2008

Art that Rocks

As many of you music fans know, this week is the SXSW music festival in Austin, Texas. It's an insane time for music-lovers who can't wait to have their favorite indies break and their favorite favorites, well, become more favorable? There's music to discover, to enjoy, and to shake your ass to. I especially like the fact that - this year - I can listen to the festival from the comfort of my own bed with KEXP broadcasting live on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Yum! It's almost like I'm in Austin. Now, if I could only find a visual feast to keep my eyes busy while my ears are enjoying the awesome tunes.

This is where Flatstock 16 comes into play. Maybe you readers have guessed this about me already, but I happen to be a fan of all kinds of art. I like music (obviously), but I also like fine art, movies, comic books, dance, theatre, fashion, and concert posters. Flatstock 16 is a poster art convention being held at SXSW, and it looks to be an amazing time. WIRED magazine has a killer photo-article about Flatstock 16, with a special concentration on the work of East Bay poster-makers Firehouse Kustom Rockart. They make some gorgeous psychedelic pieces and they've worked for everyone from the Deftones to U2. To borrow a phrase from my father (who most likely borrowed from someone else) it's a sumptuous repast, a visual smorgasbord, and something you just shouldn't miss seeing.

Here are links to the WIRED article and Firehouse Kustom Rockart:

WIRED

Firehouse Kustom Rockart

No comments: