19 August, 2007

On The Road 50th Anniversary!

"I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till I drop.

This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion."

-Jack Kerouac, On The Road


50 years and so many minds opened to the possibility of adventure. People ask me what I dream of in my heart. People say: "What do you really want to do? What do you really want from life?". I guess I want some kind of obvious journey, a task or absolute goal that I can pursue, but in pursuing, discover myself a little more. I want to live in a great story, and witness enlightenment; travel, and be enlightened in the process. I want a eucatastrophe, and I want to be able to write about it in a way that makes others feel as connected as I do when I read Kerouac. I guess I wouldn't feel connected, if I weren't confused, and neither would Jack.

Jazz was the heart palpitation of the beat generation, and the best of it doesn't have a straightforward groove. Here's some old and new jazz for you guys to enjoy:

"Stardust" by John Coltrane

"Zarafah" by Joshua Redman

"Lazy Afternoon" by Joe Henderson

"Poet" by Cassadra Wilson

"St. James Infirmary" by Turk Murphy

"A Banca Do Distinto" by Badi Assad

"Cypresses" by Anat Cohen

No comments: