24 October, 2006

Boo!: A Sort-Of Halloween Playlist

Despite the fact that I’m a giant baby when it comes to scary movies (I couldn’t sleep after watching “Signs”) I enjoy Halloween. Maybe I’m a masochist or maybe I just like the idea of changing yourself for one night. The possibilities are endless and you get free candy! In honor of this crazy holiday I’ve created a playlist of songs that remind me of Halloween. Not all of the songs are spooky and you won’t find most of them on a Halloween compilation cd, but they all remind me of the otherworldliness of that final night in October (MWAHAHAHAHA.)


“Evil” by Interpol: Maybe it’s just me, but everytime I here this song I can see zombies rocking out to that crazy steady bassline. Certainly evil.


“Dead Man’s Party” by Oingo Boingo: The title alone conjures pictures of skeletons in party hats. This song also makes me think of the Death Day party in “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets”. Quick trivia question: Which member of Oingo Boingo went on to spooky soundtrack fame? Danny Elfman of course!


“Teenagers from Mars” by the Misfits: The underrated horror-punk band of the ‘80s sing about teenagers from mars. Also check out the Network’s cover of this song.


“Supermodel Robots” by The Network: With sirens blasting in the background, what could be creepier than starving supermodel robots? The Network are the kings of dress up. It is rumored that three of the members are Green Day in disguise.


“Fashion Zombies!” by the Aquabats: A really weird and cool band singing extremely Halloween worthy tunes. This song is making fun of goth/emo kids everywhere with a thinly veiled (barely veiled) metaphor. Just check out some of the lyrics:
“...So lock those doors and windows
They crawl the malls to shop
For tight black jeans and spiky belts
and scissors for the Zelda cut
and there is no explanation
These creatures are just victims
Dressed in expensive fashions
To look like they crawled out of coffins...”


“Going Under” by Evanescence: This whole album freaks me out so much that I can only listen to it on sunny/extremely happy days. Don’t listen in the dark!


“Gone Daddy Gone” by Gnarls Barkley: These guys have a great love of Halloween masks which they seem to wear for every photo-shoot. This song was originally done by the Violent Femmes, and although it isn’t spooky per se, I find that everything Gnarls Barkley does scares me a little (in a good way!)


“Knights of Cydonia” by Muse: Starting off with the ominous sound of horse hooves and lasers (?) this song is pure eerie fun. Although it does remind me more of cowboys than knights, it definitely makes me pause and listen hard every time I hear it on the radio. Listen to the lyrics, they’re great.


“Dragostea Din Tei (Original Romanian)” by O-Zone: The only scary thing about this song is how much I enjoy listening to it! Oh yeah, and it’s in Romanian which, surprisingly, is not as scary as I had imagined.


“How Soon Is Now?” by The Smiths: Morrissey man, he used to be so weird now he’s just depressing, but that isn’t really the point. This song is great with a loooong intro. It always makes me think of that part in “The Wedding Singer” when Linda comes back, and that’s hands-down the creepiest part of that movie.


“Just Like Heaven” by Dinosaur Jr: They took an already eerie Cure song and made it weirder with all kinds of spooky distortion. I love it!


“Bat Country” by Avenged Sevenfold: This song is just so cool, and the drummer and guitarist are AMAZING. Even if you don’t want to listen because of the massive MTV video play check it out, I promise you won’t be disappointed.

No comments: